Search This Blog

Monday 10 August 2015

Farewell Uganda

It is time to say Goodbye to Uganda. I fly back to Australia today.
What a very special time it has been.


 On Friday at lunchtime, YFC farewelled four of us who are just finishing our time here.


The back courtyard looked great again and


Miriam spoke lots of nice words about us all.


The ones being farewelled were Mike, who had spent several months in the accounts department as an intern for his accounting degree,

Alina, a Gap Year student from Germany who has been here for 5 months, Stella, who has been doing an internship for several months as part of her Social Sciences degree


and me, Jajja Jane. Moses had made a special gift for me,


a number of people spoke,

including each of us who was being farewelled.


The G21 young people danced for us

and we cut cake together.
It was a time of celebration of all the good things God had done in our midst and a time for speaking about the loss we each will feel as we part company. It was a very special, fun and deep and meaningful occasion.


On Sunday after church Alina and Eve and I had icecream together at one of the few places in Kampala that serves good ice-cream. We have been going to church together for the last three months and this was our last time together.


Then it was back home for a visit next door to my neighbour from Sudan who wanted to paint my feet with Henna as a farewell gift to me. Well that whole process takes a very long time! But my feet are beautiful, yes?

I am coming home with a new Ugandan name, Kisakye, meaning God's grace. 
I am told that anyone with a Ugandan name has Uganda as home, and must return home sometime. Let's wait and see what God does. I wouldn't argue with Him on that one.

I am also coming home with a heart filled to overflowing with thankfulness and wonder at the way God has used His people in Uganda to teach and grow me and also to affirm, bless, love and encourage me, whilst allowing me to serve them and worship Him in the process.
In worldly terms my gifts are few in number, but just like the boy with the five loaves and two fish in the Bible story, if we give Him the little we have He can multiply it many times over to bless many.


Educating Uganda YFC volunteers

While I have been working with YFC here I have had opportunity to get to know a number of quality young volunteers who spend much of their time working alongside the staff to take the gospel to young people in Uganda. A number of these volunteers have no opportunity to attend university to work towards their dreams because of lack of finances. I would love to be able to connect them with people who are willing to financially support them through uni to achieve their goals. Miriam and I have put together photographs and profile letters for each young person and an idea of costs for each one. If you can help, please be in touch via my personal email justjanie2010@gmail.com  This would not only bless the students but also YFC Uganda.
 
And so this is my last blog post until I travel again. I'll finish with the doxology that most Ugandan Christians finish many of their prayers and times together with. 

And now, may the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with us now and forever more. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment