Search This Blog

Wednesday 28 September 2011

Denver Colorado

After a tiring trip with a major delay, missed connection, re-routing and cancelled flight on my way from Kigali to Denver, I arrived 48 hours after I left Rwanda.  Sure I was tired but looking on the bright side, I did get to enjoy a luxurious night with dinner, breakfast and wireless internet at the Hyatt Regency in Chicago. There had to be a bonus and I was sure ready for a sleep, a nice hot shower and good internet access when I arrived in Chicago. I have decided that these small changes are all part of the adventure and have decided I will just go along for the ride and enjoy it! I did!

Staying with David and Jenny Wraight has been great. They also have two other house guests here for various meetings and for GA - Jessica from Holland and Daniella from Germany.

I have been having a fabulous time volunteering at the YFC International office in preparation for the General Assembly and also meeting all the new arrivals as they come for GA.  There will be about 300 participants from 80 countries.


My workmate for most of the week has been a beautiful new young friend, Ellian from The Gambia, a tiny country in West Africa.


Together Ellian and I have hand written greetings and Bible verses inside 300 welcome cards for each of the participants of GA.

 

Really clever cards - I like them.


And we have counted bracelets for the Welcome Bags


and then been part of the team to fill the Welcome Bags. There' s a heap of excellent donated stuff going in there!

 
And we helped sort clothes donated for the 'Thrift Shop' at the General Assembly

And we even got Luc (from Rwanda) helping us to cut out trees and leaves ready for some decorating at a dinner during the General Assembly.


It's been such a great experience for me spending time at the International Office.The atmosphere is happy, fun, warm, friendly and a really good place to work and to be. It's been a bonus on my trip and a quiet wind-down after Rwanda and before GA.

Next I'm registered for a 2 day Coaching 101 course for Saturday and Sunday and am looking forward to that. I will have done it by the time you read this though!! GA begins Sunday afternoon and who knows if I'll have time to post anything on the blog while that's going on. But it's going to be fantastic and I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment