Search This Blog

Monday 29 September 2014

Why me?

Why me? Why has God blessed me so abundantly? Why do I get the amazing thrill of being part of this incredible worldwide family, to share in their lives and in the celebration occasions? I cannot answer these questions but I do believe what the Bible says in Psalm 86 verse 5 "You, Lord, are forgiving and good, abounding in love to all who call to you."

So I've just left Bangkok where I was with the YFC family at the International General Assembly, held every three years. 555 of us from 70 nations! It's 70 years since the beginning of YFC. Billy Graham was the first employee - good start! We have lots to celebrate. YFC is now in 133 nations and growing all the time.

Our motto: GEARED TO THE TIMES, ANCHORED TO THE ROCK

We met in a tropical paradise about 2 hours from Bangkok, for a week of great Bible teaching with Ravi Zacharias, who was converted at a YFC rally in India as a young man. We also enjoyed fun and fellowship, deepening of old relationships and making new ones, sharing cultures and stories, learning about each other and new ways of doing life and ministry. I came away feeling filled up with good and with God.
 
 A couple of real highlights for me were meals with two groups of people very close to my heart.


There was a team of 20+ from YFC in Rwanda, some of whom I have known since Mal and I were there in 2007, some I met in 2011 and others I hadn't met before. But for me Rwandans will always hold a very special place in my heart.
You can see the white face in amongst all those beautiful black ones. Everyone shared what they are doing now - studying, volunteering or on staff with YFC, perhaps married now with babies. We joined hands and prayed together at the end of dinner, committing each other to our Heavenly Father.


And remember when I spent 3 months in Chiang Mai, Thailand in 2012 learning to teach English and helping to lead a new program to train young YFC leaders? It was called Embark. 8 young women have been through that program and four of them were there plus the three of us who have been in leadership. It was a VERY special time of reconnecting, sharing what has happened for each of us since Embark, sharing plans and dreams and praying together at the end.

Another very special highlight for me was the night we all sang 'How great Thou art' together in English and then someone followed in Cantonese. That set up a chain of people wanting to sing it in their languages. What a treat! We heard this wonderful old hymn sung in Arabic, Russian, French, Kinyarwanda, Spanish, Thai, Korean, Hungarian, Bangla, Danish, German and Dutch. A feast!

I am so privileged to share in the lives of so many exceptional people with a passion for sharing the love and message of Jesus Christ with young people around the world. I'm looking forward to GA in the US in 2017.


No comments:

Post a Comment