Search This Blog

Monday 20 July 2015

Teaching something new to our tailoring girls

I was given this quilted and zipped bag in Rwanda as a gift in 2011. 


I brought it with me to Uganda and have been using it constantly to carry all my crochet bits and pieces around. I realised that the girls learning tailoring at YFC's Suubi Home would be quite capable of making something similar. It is quilted, lined, has difficult square corners and a zip across the top

Step 1: Ask the girls if they were interested. It was a unanimous 'YES'

Step 2: Find all the materials needed to make the bags.


 Rose, their tailoring teacher, was willing to take me shopping. That was a wonderful and colourful cultural experience with one gorgeous woman and, believe it or not, I only took this one photo. Sorry!

Step 3: Make a sample bag so that I knew what I was teaching the girls. That was interesting. I'm not a treadle sewing machine user by any stretch of the imagination, and when the machines are not in great working order its an even bigger challenge. But with plenty of help I was ready to go on Wednesday.

Step 4: Make bags with girls.


First cutting out the fabric, the lining and the foam wadding, 


then stitching,


pinning,


waiting for a machine, (only two in semi-working order)


sometimes needing a bit of help from Jajja (grandmother) Jane,


more sewing


until the beautiful bags are complete and its time to show them off.

What a great job these girls did. They were so proud of themselves and I was proud of them too!
Because the girls had enjoyed making the bags so much and were keen to make more, and because I thought these could be a good income earner, I asked Rose to purchase more lining, zips and wadding. They already had scraps they could use for the outer fabrics.


And so they went crazy


and look what they made!



 Even Rose was pleased to model one.

It was such a successful day and I think the girls now have another option for earning some money to support their little ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment