Search This Blog

Monday 6 July 2015

Washing Day in Kampala

On Saturdays in Kampala I usually catch up on household chores and this includes my washing. 



The soap powder availalbe in the shops has instructions like this:
You can see there are only photos of hands and plastic tubs, not washing machines, unless you have a twin tub and I don't.


African women bend from the waist to ground level to do their washing, but I haven't grown up with that and my back isn't so comfy working that way.


 Wringing everything out by hand isn't as easy as letting the washing machine do it for me, but its the way it is here in Uganda.


Were you wondering how I took these pictures when I live on my own? Takes a bit of thinking through, but usually I can come up with something that works. Sorry I couldn't show you the camera perched on top of the suitcases and chair, but I was using it to take the photo!


I have one of those travel clotheslines strung tightly across my little back balcony. Its perfect for my weekly wash.


Washing hanging is a very common sight


when I look out from my second floor flat


including the downstairs neighbours, whose kids were having Saturday fun in the courtyard as I went out in the afternoon.


I had planned to wash my sheets and hang them out the front of my place, but by the time I was ready that space wasn't available because it also seemed to be washing day for my next door neighbour.


So I had to get up earlier to wash my sheets and mosquito net another day so that I would have space to hang some out the front.


Out the back I am the only one who has access, so that will always be available.

Don't think that all the houses in my neighbourhood are like the one you see here on the right.



The greater majority are like this.

Sounds like another post for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment