Search This Blog

Sunday 19 June 2016

My home in Addis Ababa

Addis Ababa is the capital of Ethiopia and where I will be spending most of my time until 5th September.
I am staying at the SIM Guest House. SIM stands for 'Serving in Mission', formerly 'Sudan Inland Mission'. This is also headquarters for SIM in Ethiopia and a busy place with many very interesting people coming and going all the time. The compound and many of the buildings are 100 years old, and although they are showing their age, they have been quite well maintained. However, there are plans for rebuilding due to a rezoning of the area.


The bedrooms are simple and homely 

 

and on the wall of each room is a beautifully written Bible verse. 


In my first room I had a lot of trouble getting my power adaptors to stay in the sockets to charge my phone, computer and camera batteries. Also the fluoro tube wasn't working and nor was the bedside lamp and so for the first couple of nights I was using candle power and my headlamp. I managed but it wasn't really satisfactory for the longer term. And so I asked if I could move to another room and they were happy for me to move two doors along.


Here I have more space, power sockets that hold my adaptors firmly, two working lights


and a new Bible verse on my wall. Pretty happy.



Outside my window I can see a school and the kids arriving each morning


and lots of rooftops. This year I can't see all the people who live in the houses below as I could in Uganda.

The bathrooms are not too far along the corridor and around the corner. In the first five days I had two hot showers. One day there was no water and the other two it was cold. Things seem to have improved since then and I am thankful for the days when all is working well.


 During the week I eat lunch with the team at YFC, but breakfast and dinner I prepare in the guest kitchen downstairs. It has all I need and more.


Having fridge space is a real bonus.

I am thankful to be here where I have access to so many of the things I will need to  manage well in Ethiopia. The staff are all really friendly, very accommodating and have welcomed me so well. Bonuses: my sheets and towels will be changed and my room will be cleaned once a week and my laundry will be washed, dried and ironed any week day I choose. All part of the deal. How good is that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment