Search This Blog

Thursday 19 July 2018

Polio immunisations in Nairobi

As I had travelled on the bus last Saturday morning, I had noticed a sign at one of the bus shelters about Polio Vaccine, although I wasn't in a position to read it.
As I walked home from the bus later that day, these young people were walking along the same road as I was.

 Several of these young people were carrying small polystyrene fridge packs over their shoulders and wearing vests indicating that they were something to do with vaccinations. I was a bit intrigued and so, because I do such things, I asked the strangers if they were anything to do with the polio vaccine posters I had noticed at the bus stop.


Yes they were. Apparently Nairobi county, one of 47 counties in Kenya, is considered to be at risk of polio after the virus was detected in environmental samples collected in Eastleigh, a suburb of Nairobi, in March this year. 
The Kenyan government has initiated a polio immunisation program targeting 800,000 children in Nairobi County.
 I had thought that polio would have been almost eradicated and mostly it has. However, I found out Why the World Still Faces a Threat from Polio


 These young people are all qualified nurses going from door to door offering parents of children up to five years, the opportunity to have their children vaccinated if that hasn't already been done.


This young woman is seeking permission from one of the guards to door knock in our apartment complex to offer the vaccine.
I haven't been aware of vaccinations being offered door to door until now. But how good that the government is being so proactive.

A day or so later, as I was walking in another neighbourhood, I saw a van full of similarly clad young people, no doubt heading off into another neighbourhood to vaccinate.

For those who don't understand why some of the writing in some of my blog posts is in blue, it means that if you click on that blue writing you will be taken to another webpage which has more detail about the thing that's typed in blue, in this case polio immunisation program. I hope that's clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment