Search This Blog

Friday 1 August 2014

Fruitfulness


When I was at the camp last week I went for an early morning walk with my roommate Rose, from the Philippines. I could hardly believe all the fruit I saw growing along the very rustic roadside. Yes, it is summer, but there were hardly any trees other than fruit-bearing ones. How impressive.
 

 The blackberries were sweet and juicy.


There were also apricots, apples, pears, plums, grapes and walnuts in abundance.




Perhaps because I was at camp with so many young people connected with Jesus, attached to the vine, I was reminded of Him speaking with His disciples saying "Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."



  These young people are eager to bear fruit for Jesus and His Kingdom.
 

They are eager to remain in Jesus and bear much fruit.

  


The key to fruitfulness is not effort; though effort will be necessary. The key to fruitfulness is not circumstance; though how we handle our circumstances is important. The key to fruitfulness is not our personal strength, charisma, or wisdom; though each of these will be given to us to help make us more fruitful. The key to fruitfulness is for us to have our lives joined to the one, true, healthy vine—Jesus. As our lives are joined to His, as we "abide" in Him and He in us, then fruitfulness happens naturally. As branches, we derive our health and productivity from the Vine. Want to live productively for God? Then let your life be joined to Jesus! Invite Him in to abide in you as you draw close to abide in His kingdom.




1 comment:

  1. Good to read about your journey Jane and good thoughts. Makes sense that Jesus uses this illustration when he walking along the road and seeing the vines. Praying for camp.

    ReplyDelete