Search This Blog

Saturday 9 August 2014

Washing, language and a broken toilet seat

After 10 days here I decided it was time to use the washing machine instead of doing all my washing by hand. We are wrapped to have a machine but I don't understand Italian or Russian. There were no clues that I could pick up from the words on the front of the machine to help me work out which would be a suitable wash cycle to use. 

 
And so I thought 'Google Translate' might be helpful. I brought my laptop in to check it out. I didn't need to use the toilet and so I put the lid down to sit on it. Oops! It's not made for sitting on!


Google translate told me that I needed to use setting 3, normalmenti sorchi, for mildly soiled clothes.


So I added the washing powder, set the dial to 3, made sure that the outlet hose was in the right place


and pushed the door closed. Two hours later I had clean washing to hang on the clothes airer in my enclosed balcony.
And two hours after that it was dry!



A few days later the landlady arrived with the instruction manual in English. Thank you, Galena.

1 comment: