Search This Blog

Saturday 18 October 2014

A very short stay in Zhongshan, China

I'm back home. 
This will be my last blog post until I travel again. 
I don't know when that will be, but God does. Perhaps it'll be sometime next year, but I'm happy to leave that in His hands.

Just before I came home I spent a couple of very enjoyable and busy days with Aussie friends in China.


 I love markets, not that I think you hadn't guessed that already! Thought you'd like to see these fish heads


and fresh red meats as well. Fewer flies here than we saw in Bangladesh, but then this is inside.


So here it was possible to have clothes made virtually on the spot,


shoes repaired while you wait,

 

and also to buy all sorts of Chinese favourites like chicken feet! You can even buy them as take-aways on skewers, like kebabs. Didn't try.

 This part of China also had some VERY old houses - reminded me a bit of Europe with buildings a couple of centuries old.


This is the church we went to on Sunday. Guess I hadn't expected churches in China to look just like ours in Australia, and people wearing gold and silver crosses as Christians might here in Australia.


After the Sunday morning service we went out for lunch with some of the young people from church . Tried a few 'new to me' Chinese dishes, like this lotus root. It's my new favourite.


And I enjoyed these 'new to me' long, skinny mushrooms that I hadn't seen before

and these thin curly black ones served here with tofu skins - really yummy too.


And after our really yummy lunch my Aussie friend had arranged for me to do a workshop for older people on 'encouraging young people'. I hadn't done anything like this before, but I think I'll be doing it more in the future. The participants were keen and engaged and we had a really good time. I have been invited to do something similar in Kyrgyzstan.

Let's wait and see what happens about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment