Search This Blog

Tuesday 30 August 2016

English classes

One of the things I have spent some of my time doing whilst working with YFC in Ethiopia is giving English lessons to some of the staff. English is my mother tongue, I was trained as a teacher and have done training to Teach English as a Second Language - TESL (in Thailand in 2012). This doesn't mean that I love it. In fact, I find lesson preparation quite stressful and certainly time-consuming, BUT I really enjoy the time with my students. They seem to enjoy it too and I do believe they are learning new things to strengthen their ability in English and so it has been quite rewarding.


In our first lesson we talked about the things we liked and disliked, hence the random items on the desk.


I dislike phones being used in class and so we agreed that phones were to be put aside during class, but here Yeti was using her phone to show that she likes listening to music on her phone.


Desta told us that she likes eating cakes from Enrico 


and so the next lesson was a walk to Enrico cake shop to enjoy cake together chatting, in English, as we walked. SO GOOD.


 My students are very conscientious


and always actively involved


in whatever the lesson is for the day

 
Everyone seems to enjoy themselves and we have some fun times together.


I teach Tazeb in a class of his own and often it's outside because he is the guard and must keep an eye on the comings and goings of the compound.


Sometimes Tazeb needs help with things other than English 


and enjoyed the bonus of a visiting Canadian student teacher.


Tazeb is a regular nice guy and although we can't really have a proper conversation, we have a good time together.
English teaching may not be my favourite activity, but spending regular time with the students is certainly one of my favourite things to do .

No comments:

Post a Comment