Search This Blog

Tuesday 29 August 2017

A weekend in Santa Helena Part 2

We met Francisco when he was a volunteer at the Escola da Vida program a couple of weeks ago. He pastors a small church in Santa Helena and invited us to visit because he is Presbyterian and so am I.



The church was having a Hot Dog Festival that Saturday night.   



We didn't know what that was to begin with, but began to understand as the night wore on. Hot Dog Festivals are a common way to raise funds in churches throughout Brazil. Apparently they may not always sell hot dogs but the name remains the same.


 During the afternoon the stage was set up across the entire street


in preparation for the night.


  Musicians from the Presbyterian church plus other visiting musicians played and sang good music,


hot dogs were sold,


and a Baptist pastor from the town gave the message.


Afterwards, the young people danced (and so did I) 


and then the obligatory photo. Francisco, the pastor, front left.


On Sunday morning we attended the Bible class and Pat and I were invited to share some of our story about our involvement in mission.

After lunch, our nap and a shower (as is the custom in Brazil), we went visiting at the hospital with people from the church,


and visiting people in their homes. 


The church is building a home for this single mum who is a member of the church. 


In the evening I was asked to speak about my journey with God and to encourage the congregation to be more outward focused, considering wider mission. I spoke about God as I had experienced him in my life. He is a Redeeming God, a Faithful God and a Generous God and he still has work for me to do as I grow older. He has something for each of us to do.


And then Pat and I had been asked to sing for the congregation.  When asked, my response was that I didn't think anyone would be blessed if we were to do that. They insisted and so we sang a verse together of the old hymn 'Great is Thy Faithfulness'. I had requested that be sung in the service as it has been part of my story and I had referred to 
Lamentations 3, verses 22-24
'Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,
    for his compassions never fail. 
 They are new every morning;
    great is your faithfulness. 
 I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion;
    therefore I will wait for him.” '


No comments:

Post a Comment