Search This Blog

Wednesday 9 August 2017

Church last weekend

 It's not easy for Pat and me to get to church every Sunday in Brazil for varying reasons, but last weekend we made up for it.
 

 My host Flavya (Pat and I are staying in different homes for the next 5+ weeks) wanted to go to a youth service that she likes to attend some Saturday nights and so were invited to go along.


It seemed to be a converted factory space with dicey acoustics and loud music, but those people love Jesus.


The pastor and congregation were very friendly, but, of course, we understood very little of what was said.


Bikes were parked inside at the back


and lots of the congregation joined in praying after the service


and chatting as they ate supper.

On Sunday morning it was a very different experience.

We went to Johnny and Flavya's church. Johnny is the regional director of YFC in São Luis and plays the drums in this church. Flavya attends here too.

This building is 131 years old and architecturally gorgeous and well maintained.


Johnny is on the left at the drums


Once again we were welcomed from the front and felt included.


A couple of the hymns really spoke to me. The first was one that I am not familiar with, but we sang about the fact that we are created to worship. Liked it very much.
And then one of my all-time favourites. 'How Great Thou Art'


This is the last verse.

When Christ shall come with shout of acclamation
And lead me home, what joy shall fill my heart!
Then I shall bow in humble adoration,
And then proclaim, "My God, how great Thou art!"


And the final chorus. 

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, how great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!

Love it! I am always blessed to be able to sing some of my favourite hymns and songs in English alongside people singing it in another language - a taste of Heaven.


 In the evening we went to another church that Johnny has started in a very poor neighborhood. Such a cute little building all spruced up and white and very different from everything around it.


Pat shared some of her story while Jefferson translated,


  and afterwards Jefferson tried a selfie on my camera of all those present.

Such varied church experiences and all Igrejas Presbiterianas!

No comments:

Post a Comment