Search This Blog

Sunday 12 August 2018

Anzacs in Kenya

When Lucy and I first went to the girls' rehab centre some weeks ago I cooked some baked goodies to take to share. One day I took muffins and the next I took Anzacs. Everyone enjoyed the new tastes.

As there is an oven at the centre, Sarah was keen that I go back and teach her and the girls how to make them. I went on Tuesday.


 First someone needed to light the jiko - charcoal stove - and get it burning well. It wasn't me. I have no idea how to do that.


While the chicko was getting going I wrote the recipes on the blackboard for the girls to copy down. I also told the girls why the biscuits were called Anzacs. I have since looked it up and find that I'm not quite right. You might like to look up the Anzac biscuit story here.


The chicko was carried inside when the coals were red hot - I didn't get a photo of that very dangerous procedure - and coals were transferred to the two cavities at the bottom of the oven to heat it up in preparation for cooking. It took some time to heat enough to bake our goodies.


Little Jonathan is always interested in whatever is going on. 


 Here the girls were putting the Anzac mixture onto the trays,


and then into the oven.


 They came out beautifully


 and everyone was really happy with the outcome.


They look great, don't you think? And they tasted great too. Yum! One tray was made with golden syrup brought from Australia and one with honey which is easy to purchase in Kenya. We decided that they really didn't taste any different so honey would be totally fine in the future.

The girls also made banana muffins and apple muffins and were divided on which tasted better. 


The cooking day was a great success. Sarah has decided that to be sure the girls have learned the lessons well they will make the muffins and Anzacs again very soon. Some were thinking seriously of baking, packaging and selling.


No comments:

Post a Comment