Search This Blog

Saturday 4 August 2018

Going to the Office

Yesterday morning I decided to take photos along the way from home to the YFC office to give you a glimpse of what my morning journey looks like lots of week days.


I walk out the gates of the apartment complex where I'm staying and farewell my friends. Mack and Lydia were the security guards on duty that morning. Here they are warming their hands over a charcoal fire because they are feeling the cold so terribly and I am wearing a short sleeved top with cardigan. I have noticed that Kenyans feel the cold quite severely. Perhaps it is because this weather is about their coldest, whereas our weather gets quite a bit colder.


I walk along Hatheru Road from where I'm staying,


around the corner and through the security gates of the neighbourhood.
 Kenyans are big on security and there are guards at most gates in my neighbourhood.

   
Down to the corner at Gitanga Road, where its pretty busy with buses, matatus and cars with people on their way to work.


Along Gitanga Road a couple of hundred yards and turn left into James Gichuru Road where I catch the matatu I need to get to the YFC office. There's almost always one waiting there for passengers and when it fills it leaves. The fare is the same for everyone no matter how far they will travel and varies according to time of day - busy times it costs more, slack time it costs less. However, I have some interesting stories about how the prices vary randomly as well.


This enterprising man, right at the matatu stop, sells lollies, biscuits, hot sausages, phone credit, chewing gum, oranges and other random things people might want for the journey.


I like to sit in the front seat, if possible, so that I can see what's going on around me and also, there seem to be more opportunities for conversation and often that's with the driver. Yesterday he started the conversation with me. I asked if I might take a photo of him and the matatu when I got off and he was happy to oblige. The driver is still in his seat and this is the conductor who had been ordered into the picture.


Once off the matatu, I need to cross a busy highway with three lanes each way.


and then there's a bit more of a walk, passing Esther's kiosk on the corner,


 where I sometimes buy a tiny packet of salted peanuts and ask how she is. Yesterday she asked how my granddaughter was. Thanks, Esther. Lucy liked Esther's peanuts too. 

  
From here it's just a short walk up the very peaceful and green Karuna Close


  to the YFC office

No comments:

Post a Comment