Search This Blog

Saturday 1 September 2012

A weekend in northern Thailand


Last weekend I had a wonderful weekend away with our TESOL teacher, Julie in Chiang Rai.
Julie was determined to give me a great weekend and she succeeded bigtime!


We left Chiang Mai around midday and headed north. Julie has lived in Thailand for 10 years and drives this road quite often and so she knew all the best places to stop for lunch, coconut cream pie for afternoon tea and a beautiful outdoor restaurant for dinner.


When we arrived at Julie's home these were waiting for me in my bedroom! How special.

Julie owns the Sea English Academy in Chiang Rai http://www.seaenglishacademy.com/component/option,com_contact/Itemid,62/catid,48/ and is the president of Deeper Still Ministries http://www.ideeperstill.org/

This place is peaceful and restful and a wonderful place to relax after two intensive weeks of TESOL training. 


On Saturday we headed further north to the Burmese border. This is Burma (Myanmar) as we approached Mae Sai, the northern most town and the border crossing.

And here I am standing at the northern most point in Thailand.

We visited a fantastic mulberry paper making factory out in the middle of nowhere! I LOVE paper stuff and had a ball buying presents to take home. It was as beautiful paper as I have seen and extremely cheap.
I bought so much that they gave me a discount and threw in several free packets of paper. I think you'll like some of this stuff Em, Lou and Clare!


And their bathrooms were really cute. Check out the tap!




We headed back to Chiang Mai after lunch at our same outdoor restaurant for lunch on Sunday. The food there was as good as it gets!
Thank you Julie for a lovely weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Paper looks awesome - thanks!!! Tap very cool too. Looks like you're having a wonderful time! Great to Skype with you yesterday!

    ReplyDelete