Search This Blog

Tuesday 18 September 2012

Not wrong, just different!

What a privilege it is to be able to live, for blocks of time, in cultures other than my own. When I do I realise that there are so many things that are different from 'my normal'. It's so easy to think that 'my' way is right and 'the other' is wrong. Who says?

'Not wrong, just different' 

is a really helpful phrase to keep in mind whilst living in another culture where many things are different from home.

Take toilets, for instance!

Anyone who has travelled in developing countries knows about squat toilets. 

Not wrong, just different! 

There actually are advantages if we take time to find out about them.

In Thailand we have many opportunities to use 'western' toilets. But here it is customary to put the paper in the waste paper bin next to the toilet after you have used it. And then flush!
( I do need to say that there are cleaners who empty the bins every few hours in public places or daily in homes. I also believe that the water table is high here and things don't flush well)

Not wrong, just different!

Last Sunday morning as I was reading in bed at about 7 am a man drove up on his motorcycle, beeped his horn and tried to catch my attention through the bedroom window. When I went out to see what he wanted he handed me a bill!  I paid it. It was 105 Thai Baht (about AU$3) for our monthly water bill. Water bill $3 a month! Sunday morning 7am hand delivery!

Not wrong, just different!

I am so thankful to God for allowing me the opportunity to experience the variety and richness of life in other cultures where so many things are so different from 'my normal'. I love it. Only occasionally am I uneasy or uncertain - like when I have to put my paper into the bin beside the toilet!)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment