Search This Blog

Saturday 22 September 2012

Living with Americans

Last night,on our way home after Lana's youth group, we stopped for icecreams. I shouted everyone!  Americans don't shout, they treat.

People can think that just because Australians speak the same language as Americans and some of our historical roots are similar, we will understand each other well.  Not necessarily so!

 Olivia enjoys 'pushing me under a bus'!! In Australia we'd say 'she dobs me in'!

Early on, I talked about putting something on the bench. My housemates wondered what I was talking about. They call it the counter!

North Americans eat supper but we eat dinner as our evening meal. They don't even know about 'our' supper. I asked what they call it when people go out for something to eat after a movie, or after youth group - a snack. I asked what they call it when they have something to eat at home around 9 pm. We don't! 

Americans put trash in the can. Aussies put rubbish in the bin.

Both Aussies and Americans can speak fast and be difficult to understand. That is certainly the case in this house! With accents on top of that, sometimes we have no idea what the other has said.

This week has been a bit different for me because we've had another Aussie in the house! 


 Derek Tucker, YFC trainer from Australia, has been here teaching us lots about missiology. The girls noticed that I communicated differently with Derek from my usual communication with them. Interesting! Not sure what that says!

But I must say I did enjoy having another Aussie around. Great to have you here, Derek!


No comments:

Post a Comment