Search This Blog

Wednesday 10 June 2015

Community 'working bee'

As I have started attending Watoto Church in Kampala and joined a local cell group, I went with 'our lot' to the community project on Saturday. Each year all the cell groups (which is hopefully all of the church) in each of the 10 Watoto churches Uganda-wide contributes to a specific need in their community. A project is identified that will help the community and that Watoto can partner with the community to achieve. 



My area located this bridge that the community needs to cross to get from one area to another: shops to school, home to shops etc



Most of the materials had been delivered before Saturday morning in readiness.


 Some had to be brought in on the day.

 

Lots of meetings took part throughout the day as decisions had to be made and plenty of people wanted to share ownership.

It was great to see the locals taking part.

The secondary school girls carried stones 


 and so did the little kids.

 
This little guy was the star of the day.
When I went back to take the photos today I met him again, this time with his mummy. I’m hoping to write a post about that encounter soon. It was very special.
 

Lots of people 

 
worked hard, 


 very hard,


some pretended to work hard,


kids took advantage of the new 'play equipment',


plenty watched   

 
 and everyone had a good time.
I got pretty distracted by photo opportunities and got some great shots in the community. Another blog post coming soon.
 

Slight miscalculation of time and at 6pm they had achieved this much on both sides.



 I had to leave at midday as I had a friend coming for lunch, but I walked back down there today to take these photos.
Think I’ll be ‘up country’ when they go to complete the project this Saturday, but I plan to go down and take some more photos of the finished bridge next week. I’ll let you see the result.








No comments:

Post a Comment