Search This Blog

Saturday 20 June 2015

Staying at Mary's house



When we were at Idudi last week we stayed at Jajja (grandmother) Mary‘s house. 


  And I became Jajja Jane for those few days too.

 
Mary is 60 and a widow, a mother and a grandmother and works with YFC and so we have plenty in common. We had lots of opportunity to talk and share and pray together. We became good friends in a short time.
 

 Because I am Muzungu (white person), whenever I was out the front of the house I was swamped by little dark skinned people who wanted to have their photos taken. I am always happy to oblige. Aren’t they just beautiful?

 
Renting from Mary in the shop-front next door is another Mary and her little daughter Desire.  A very different sort of shop from Aussie shops.


 Mary and I walked to the office together in the mornings through the maize crop and along the village paths.

 
Mary’s house is filled with many family members, as is common in Africa. These little ones are mostly grandchildren and they’re enjoying the mangoes that are in season. Most locals just eat them skin and all, like we would an apple.


  Cooking is a very communal thing and Jajja Mary and my ‘YFC buddy’ Mary spent time just sitting and chatting while meal preparation and cooking took place.


 I wanted to help but they were not keen on the idea. Sadly I am treated rather ‘specially’. 



                          That is their way and I respect it, but would love to be more helpful sometimes.
 
Life was very simple and very good at Mary’s house and I had a great time being an Idudi ‘local’ for a few days. Well, that I’ll never be, but I really enjoyed the slower pace and the simple way of life there and spending quality time with quality people. 

God is allowing me to have some wonderful experiences here – more good gifts from a father who loves His children.  God is good to me all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment